Search This Blog

Monday, September 8, 2008

Consignment sale update and a little mud

Yesterday evening around 4:00, someone in the office announced, "oh, it's raining." Since Georgia is in a drought, rain is always welcomed. However, I had 334 items to drop off at the church for the sale. My thoughts were, "surely it will stop raining by 5:30." As, I headed out of the office, there wasn't a drop of rain that was falling and I was extremely pleased. I was feeling pretty good about things and just knew that I was even to get a parking spot near the drop off entrance.

I counted my blessings too soon. By the time I arrived at the church's parking lot, all the close parking spots were occupied and it was sprinkling rain. I got out of the Equinox and grabbed a box and thought that the unloading and the rain were not going to be too bad. However, the rain was somehow connected to the rain and with every load, it rained harder. I had a lot of loads and I was soaked by the time I had carried everything inside.

But my spirits were lifted by the lady who checked the clothes, she said, "Wow, did you dry clean all of this items, they look amazing." Her comment made me smile ear to ear. I didn't dry clean the items, however, I am a little picky when it comes to Emily's stuff. I don't try to sneak items into the sale that are stained and I iron everything to make it look it's very best.

Then, if things couldn't get better, they did. The owner of the sale decided that one of my items that was priced $10 was a must for her daughter and put it into her pile to purchase. How cool is that?

I ran out once again into to pouring rain and got into the Equinox. I was so thankful that the lightening didn't zap anyone. It was a little scary.

I was looking forward to getting home and out of the rain. I was singing to the radio when I remembered that we needed milk. I tried telling myself that we really didn't need milk because the rain was pouring so hard and I just didn't want to get back out in it. But, Emily's disappointed little face came to my mind because she dearly loves her milk with her meals, especially when it's chocolate milk.

Luckily by the time I stopped at Wal-Mart, the rain came to a halt. I ran in and gathered the milk and several of items of need and then I rushed to checked out for a speedy check out. The moment, yes the very moment that I swiped my debit card, the registers lost power. So, I waited and waited and waited right along with all the other customers. I had a lovely conversation with the cashier. She has worked at Wal-Mart for 14 and 1/2 years, and she has a grandson that is 2 and 1/2 that is the apple of her eye. Likewise, she knows a lot about Emily.

At last, the power was restored. But the credit card/debit card thingy wouldn't work on the register that I was at. The cashier asked me to give her my card so that she could run it through the register. That didn't work either. So, she handed my card back to me. But as she handed it back to me, she dropped it between the register and the bagging area. After want seemed like hours, the assistant manager located a screw driver and preyed the bagging area away from the register and retrieved my card. I was relieved. Then, I had to wait longer so that I could check out, again.

The only time that I lost my patience was when the greeter demanded to see my receipt as proof that I had paid because I had had those environmental friendly bags which may I add, I had to bag my items myself since I used them instead of the plastic bags. Ugh. I took a deep breaths as I left the store.

Moments later, I turned into the drive way to see Emily in a bathing suit trying to surf the water that had gathered in our drive way. Since that really wasn't working for her, she decided to play in the mud. Before I let her in the house, I took the water hose to her. As I carried her to the bathtub, I told her, "don't touch anything."

By the way, Emily drunk two glasses of chocolate milk with her dinner so the hassle at Wal-Mart was worth it.

No comments: