Search This Blog

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Too smart for her own good.

On Friday May the 2ND at 11:43am, the following message was sent to my e-mail at work from Emily's teacher:

Yesterday, Emily had a note that went home about not being honest and her not completing her work so that she could have more play time. She returned the note signed by her. She confessed that she signed the note once I told her that I was going to email you to make sure that you saw the note. I will send it home today in an envelope.

I was mad! However, I couldn't stop laughing because she had signed it. My mind wondered all day what name she wrote on it, Mom, Dad, or Emily? I didn't think we would have to face this until she was older and knew how to spell and write in cursive. I have to give her credit for being too smart for her own good.

Immediately, I called Hartford to let him know that we were going to have to figure out what to do. He told me that he would call me back.

When he called back he told me how he wanted to punish her and I added how I wanted to punish her and we agreed that everything we had stated would be her punishment. Since she is a doll baby most of the time, she rarely gets punished. However, she is one of those kids that when she needs punishment, it has to be memorable or she doesn't get the point. There was only one thing in her punishment that made an impact and that was throwing away her candy stash. She had candy in her stash that was probably more than a year old. It was so stale that it really needed to be thrown out anyway. She just likes the idea of having a stash of candy but she only ate a piece of it ever now and then and she always asked us first if she could have a piece. I've never known a child that took three days to eat a sucker. She amazes me.

Anyway...when I got home I wanted to see the note that she signed. At the first glance it looked like a bunch of letters just written down. Since this didn't make any sense, I studied and studied it. It finally occurred to me that it said, Ms. Susan. She wrote a M a backward s and then a period. Then she wrote cucon.

I think that she has learned or at least I hope that she has learned a valuable lesson in right and wrong. I conclude that we shouldn't have skipped church last Sunday.

No comments: