Search This Blog

Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas Traditions/Looking for the tree

Christmas traditions are becoming more important to me as Emily gets older. I want her to remember her Christmases of pasts because of the warm feelings of love. Also, I want her to look forward to the warm feelings of love as she anticipates her future Christmases.

It doesn't matter how many presents she gets under the tree or how hard I searched for them because toys are toys. Toys break, toys get lost, toys are forgotten, new toys are always wanted. But love, she will carry it with her always.

This year, Emily is starting to ask about the reality of Santa. And the very thought of her discovering that there isn't really a guy dressed in red that flies around the world in one night delivering presents has almost broke my heart. But I've come to realize the truth that Santa isn't the magic, love is the magic. I love her so much that I am allowing her to believe this silliness. And when the time comes, Christmas will still be magical for Emily because she will have love and I believe that giving her traditions will only increase the love that she feels.

With that being said, one of our traditions for the last several years have been getting our Christmas tree from a tree farm. Here are three pictures from this tradition. Every year the first thing Emily does is sit in this sleigh and let me take a picture of her.
The second thing that she does is feed the goats.
The third thing that she does is help search for the perfect tree.

No comments: