Search This Blog

Friday, August 8, 2008

Reading

I read to Emily a lot. I started reading to her early because I wanted her to have a love for books. I didn't love books as a child. Actually, I hated them. Even in my tween years when I read a few books, I hated them. How I made it through college without the love of reading in way beyond me.

It wasn't until after college and I was married that that I began reading for enjoyment. The first book that I read and truly enjoyed was "To Kill a Mockingbird". It took Hartford months to convince me that I would love it, if I read it. Reluctantly, I finally agreed and it is one of, if not, my very favorite book. Since then, I have found a love for reading.

However once Emily came along, there wasn't much time to read all the best sellers. But I discovered a blessing with sharing my love for reading with her. We have bonded even more by not only sharing time together but also sharing a common interest that I hope that will continue for a lifetime.

From the very get go I picked out books that appealed to me. I wanted her to feel my excitement and not my dread in reading them. For the most part, it has worked out wonderfully. However, it doesn't matter how much a person enjoys a particular book, it will not be a pleasurable experience every time you read it when you read it a million times. Luckily, Emily knows better than to ask me to read books about dinosaurs, trolls, or Sponge Bob. She knows to go directly to her Daddy for those books. Likewise, I don't force Hartford to read books to her that don't appeal to him.

Mrs. Bliss, Emily's Pre-K teacher introduced the children to first chapter book. I am so thankful for Mrs. Bliss for this as well as so much more. Since then, Emily and I have stepped up our reading level. It has become our mission to seek out books. Mrs. Bliss would always go the the public library and check out a bunch of books. Emily would tell me or show me the titles and I would also check them out from the library.

A new stage has developed in our book time since Emily is now reading books to me. I am so proud of her and I enjoy seeing her confidence grow as she learns new words. I will admit that there are times that she absolutely drives me bonkers when her mind and mouth wonders wildly. I try to never make her read a book that she doesn't want to read. Reading at home should be fun. Currently, we are making a reading chain. She is very proud of this and keeps her more focused.

I plan on reading to her as long as she will allow me to read. I don't foresee me reading to a teenager every night, but I plan on trying to sneak in a book here and there every once in awhile and maybe even a snuggle. Wish me luck. I know that only time will tell.

No comments: