Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

For the love of pickles

I love pickles as much as well, Emily hates them. I have loved pickles my entire life. Pickles were the first food that I ate so much of that I got sick, and yet I wanted even more of them. I don’t recall meeting a pickle that I haven’t liked. But poor Emily, she hates them, she loathes them, and she despises them. She even hates it when I talked about them. I sometimes wonder if that child is really mine. If she didn’t have freckles I would seriously wonder. But since she also dearly loves cats and bunnies, she probably is mine.

Here are some interesting pickle facts for the June 2009 issue of Real Simple:

Aristotle praised their healing effects is 350 B.C.
Julius Caesar fed them to his troops, supposedly believing they lent physical and spiritual strength.
Cleopatra insisted that eating them enhanced her beauty.
Christopher Columbus brought them to the New World on his 15th century voyage.

Personally, I eat them because they taste so yummy.

No comments: