Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Kindergarten Photo

Usually the first thing that I do when I get home from work is to go through Emily's book bag to see what's what. Yesterday when I pulled out her black note book from her bag, I immediately saw the tip of a large gray envelope sticking out of it. The type of large gray envelope that you instantly know that contains school pictures. My heart started racing with anticipation but my mind went back to the morning that the school pictures were taken. I remember getting a phone call from Hartford and he gently asked me if it was OK if Emily wore a necklace to school? I said excitedly, "Sure, she can pick one out of my jewelry box. Her necklaces are on the left side!" He hesitated for a moment before he told me that she had already picked out the “teddy bear” necklace. I recall taking a deep breath. I silently concluded that this was not a battle that I could or would win. So, I replied half-heartily, “that’s fine”. Hartford asked once more to make sure that I was truly fine with it. I told him that it would make her happy which is the important thing and besides, she would more likely smile when the picture was taken.

As I slowly pulled out the pictures with a little dread, I pulled out the class portrait first. I stared for the slightest moment, then a grin quickly grew on my face and I couldn't hide my laughter. I expected the necklace, however, I didn't expect to see Emily sitting in the front row with her pants cuffs rolled up on her leg. I showed Hartford and he laughed as well. We asked her why she rolled her pants up and she stated as if it was obvious, "I wanted to make sure that everyone saw my socks."

Needless to say, the pictures are priceless.

I love that child! She is truly precious. I hope and pray that she will always be true to herself. She inspires me to be true to myself and enjoy life.

No comments: